1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and cook, stirring constantly until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add squash, pears, garlic, ginger and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Add broth and water; bring to a simmer.
5. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until squash is tender, 35-45 minutes.
6. Puree soup, in batches if necessary, in a blender. (If using a blender, follow manufacturers directions for pureeing hot liquids.)
7. Return soup to pot and heat through. Stir in lemon juice.
8. Garnish each serving with a spoonful of yogurt.
9. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
NotesBroth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cups sliced onions
2 pounds winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch cubes (4 generous cups)
2 pears, peeled, cored, and diced, or 1 can (15 ounces) sliced pears, drained and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped, peeled fresh ginger, or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon thyme
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
MaterialsSharp Knife, Cutting board, Large pot, Large bowl, Measuring cups, Measuring spoons, Mixing spoon, Blender, Vegetable peeler
More About Acorn Squash
How to Select
Select acorn squash that are dull and heavy for their size. Avoid squash with soft spots or cracks.
How to Store
Store acorn squash in a cool, dry area away from extreme temperatures and sunlight. Acorn squash can stay fresh for up to 3 months.
How to Prepare
Pure roasted or steamed acorn squash and use it as a sauce over pasta or with meat. Mix thinly-sliced squash strips with whole wheat noodles. Thinly slice acorn squash, then add a little cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg and either steam or microwave. Make a delicious cream of acorn squash soup and then, for a festive presentation, bring it to the table served inside hollowed-out squash halves.
You Might Also Like
Whole Wheat Quick Bread
This recipe is a quick and easy way of including more whole grains in your diet.
Baked Fish with Creole Sauce
An easy fish dish with a flavorful sauce. It is recommended that twice a week you make seafood the main protein food on your plate.