1. Spray a baking sheet lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Cut eggplant in half. Place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake in a 400 oven for 20 minutes.
3. Turn eggplant cut side up and bake for another 20 minutes.
4. Turn again to cut side down and bake for another 20 minutes, until very soft.
5. Allow eggplant to cool.
6. Put garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt into blender. Scoop eggplant out of its skin and put into blender. Blend until smooth.
7. To serve, scoop the baba ganoosh into a shallow bowl. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Serve at room temperature or cold with pieces of pita bread.
8. This dish may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for at least a day.
1 medium sized eggplant (about 1 pound)
olive oil cooking spray
1 clove garlic, peeled
3 tablespoon tahini
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
MaterialsBaking sheet, Blender, Sharp Knife, Cutting board, Large spoon, Measuring spoons, Large bowl
More About Eggplant
How to Select
Look for a smooth, shiny eggplant. Press your finger or thumb into the skin of the eggplant gently but firmly. The flesh should give a little to the pressure and create a slight indent but spring back immediately when pressure is released.
How to Store
Eggplants can be stored in the fridge for a few days. Need to use it fast? You don't have to eat eggplant at every meal. Instead, roast and blend the eggplant in big batches. Freeze the purée with a little lemon juice (to prevent discoloration), and use it in sauces and dips all year 'round.
How to Prepare
There is no end to the ways you can prepare eggplant. Roast it, grill it, saute it, even steam it. Each results in a different texture and taste, but all will be delicious.
You Might Also Like
Beans and Greens
This delicious, vegetarian side dish packed with nutrients is the perfect pairing for your favorite main course!
Peanut Butter and Banana Pockets
Kids will love helping to make and eat these delicious pockets! Enjoy as a snack, in a lunch or as a healthy dessert!