1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes or until tender.
2. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add rice while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Add turmeric and cook about 2 more minutes, stirring often.
5. Add 1 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Continue adding broth in cup increments and stirring often until the rice is creamy (not soupy) and soft but still al dente--about 25 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add roasted squash and cheese. Stir. Add nutmeg to taste. Serve immediately. If not serving immediately, keep warm and add cheese right before serving.
1 cups roasted butternut squash puree, or other winter squash puree of your choice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cups Arborio rice
1 teaspoon turmeric
3 cups fat free, low-sodium vegetable broth, kept hot
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
MaterialsLarge saucepan, cutting board, sharp knife, measuring cups, measuring spoons, wooden spoon
More About Butternut Squash
How to Select
Choose a squash heavy for its size. Squash should be firm and free of bruises.
How to Store
Store in a cool, dark place for up to a month. Once cut, refrigerate unused portion.
How to Prepare
Add to stews and soups, steam and drizzle with olive oil, prepare in a curry, bake and stuff with apples, add cooked squash to canned black beans with a dash of cinnamon and cumin, mash with yams, season with ginger and cinnamon, or simply cube and roast.