1. In a pan, cook meat with the seasonings.
2. When cooked thoroughly, remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, mix lettuce, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, cheese and meat.
4. Put tortilla chips on five plates and top with salad.
5. Top with salsa and serve immediately..
NotesTry pinto or black beans in place of the kidney beans! Try adding a dollop of plain Greek yogurt as a topping.
1/2 pound ground beef (90% lean) or ground turkey
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 bag tortilla chips
3/4 cup salsa
MaterialsSkillet, measuring spoons, knife, measuring cups, large bowl
More About Romaine Lettuce
How to Select
Look for romaine lettuce with closely bunched leaves that look fresh. Avoid romaine lettuce with brown or wilted leaves.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to a week.
How to Prepare
Rinse lettuce under cold water. Use a salad spinner or pat leaves dry to remove excess moisture. Slice, chop or tear as needed.
You Might Also Like
Almond Rice Pudding
Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, fiber and protein. Using brown rice will also include more whole grains in your diet.