- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, all the herbs and fennel seeds.Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils and barley and sauté another 1-2 minutes, stirring to make sure they don’t burn or stick.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock.Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
- Add spinach, salt, and pepper.Simmer another 10 minutes. (Add more water or stock if needed for desired consistency) Serve hot.
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. sage
½ tsp. rosemary
½ tsp. thyme
1 tsp. fennel seeds
1½ cups dry lentils (green or brown variety)
½ cup barley pearls
8 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup frozen spinach
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
MaterialsLarge pot, measuring cup and spoons, knife
More About Spinach
How to Select
Look for perky, green leaves. Avoid leaves that are wilted, brown or yellow.
How to Store
Keep spinach in the original bag or plastic container or in a plastic bag. Store as cold as possible without freezing. Spinach can be stored for 3-5 days. Wash the spinach just before use, not before storing.
How to Prepare
Add spinach to soups. casseroles, chilis, spaghetti sauce, stir frys, salads, sandwhiches, pizzas or smoothies; the possibilities are almost endless!
You Might Also Like
Blueberries have antioxidants and a a good source of fiber. The oat topping provides whole grains.
Very Veggie Pizza
The kids will love helping make this recipe. The pizza can be topped with all your favorite veggies!