1. Fill a large pot half-full with water. Bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for water to boil, rinse, peel, and slice carrots into -inch slices.
3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat orange juice until liquid thickens and reduces by about . Watch carefully after it reduces by so that it does not boil dry in the pan. Juice may take up to 20 minutes to reduce.
4. Add carrots to boiling water. Cook until slightly soft but still a bit crunchy, about 710 minutes.
5. In a colander, drain carrots. Rinse under cold water.
6. In a medium bowl, add carrots, salt, basil, black pepper, and orange juice sauce. Toss until carrots are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
NotesTo save time, steam carrots in the microwave instead of cooking on the stove. Place carrots in a microwave-safe dish with cup of water for 35 minutes. Try parsnips instead of carrots. Use other dried herbs like dill or parsley instead of basil, if you like. When oranges are in season or on sale, use fresh oranges instead of orange juice. Juice 2 oranges to get 1 cup of juice. Zest just one of the oranges. Stir juice into skillet in step 3. Add zest at the end of cooking time.
1 pound carrots
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Pinch ground black pepper
MaterialsColander Cutting board Large pot Measuring cups Measuring spoons Medium bowl Medium skillet Sharp knife Vegetable peeler
More About Carrots
How to Select
Choose well-shaped, smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep color and fresh, green tops. Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes. Can last 4-5 months if packed in moist sand & stored in cold root cellar at 32-40 degrees.
How to Prepare
Rinse with cold water. Trim off tops and bottoms. Peel. To eat raw add to salads or have as snack with dip. Carrots can be steamed, microwaved or boiled until tender.
You Might Also Like
Peanut Butter and Banana Pockets
Kids will love helping to make and eat these delicious pockets! Enjoy as a snack, in a lunch or as a healthy dessert!
Baked Kale Frittata
Frittata is an egg-based dish similar to a quiche without the crust. It's delicious served for breakfast lunch or dinner!