1. Rinse cucumbers. Peel off skin every ¼ inch, all the way around. Cut lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a small spoon.
2. Rinse lemon. Zest using the small holes of a box grater. Cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
3. Rinse and chop green onions.
4. Drain tuna. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
5. In a medium bowl, mash beans lightly with a fork.
6. Add green onions, tuna, oil, mustard, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and 2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice to beans. Mix with a fork.
7. Fill each cucumber half with ¼ tuna mixture. Serve.
NotesTry using canned chicken or salmon in place of tuna!
2 large cucumbers
2 green onions
1 (6-ounce) can low-sodium tuna, packed in water
1 (15 ½-ounce) can white beans
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 Tablespoon Dijon or country mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
MaterialsBox grater, can opener, colander, cutting board, fork, measuring spoons, medium bowl, sharp knife, small bowl, spoon, and vegetable peeler
More About Cucumber
How to Select
Choose firm, well shaped cucumbers with dark green color and heavy for size.
How to Store
Refrigerate in a plastic bag with some air holes.
How to Prepare
Rinse in cold water. Trim ends. If skin is tough or waxed, peel. If seeds are hard, scoop out. Add fresh cucumber to salads and sandwiches. Have as a snack with dips.
You Might Also Like
Very Veggie Pizza
The kids will love helping make this recipe. The pizza can be topped with all your favorite veggies!