1. Rinse and peel onion and carrots. Peel garlic.
2. Rinse bell pepper. Remove core and seeds.
3. Dice onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
4. If using lime, rinse now. Cut into wedges.
5. In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
6. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add turkey and brown.
7. Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook until onions are soft and carrots are somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
8. Add beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, and cumin to pot. Season with salt.
9. Lower heat to medium. Cook until all flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
10. If using lime and yogurt, squeeze juice from lime wedges on top of chili or serve on the side. Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon yogurt.
NotesServe with cornbread, brown rice, or whole wheat noodles. Or, use to top baked potatoes. Try black beans or chickpeas in place of the kidney beans. Chili can be frozen in batches to eat later. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
1 medium onion
2 medium carrots
3 cloves garlic
1 large green bell pepper
1 (15-ounce) can red or white kidney beans, no salt added
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
Optional Ingredients: 1 medium lime, 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
MaterialsCan opener, colander, cutting board, large pot, measuring cups, measuring spoons, sharp knife, vegetable peeler
More About Kidney Bean
How to Select
Choose dried beans or canned beans with less sodium. Select dried beans that are dry, firm, clean, uniform in color and not shriveled
How to Store
Store dried beans at room temperature, in a closed contaner to protect from moisture and pests. Store canned beans at room temperature--use before date on can.
How to Prepare
Spread the beans out on a light colored plate to check for and remove stones and damaged beans. Then, place the beans in a strainer and rinse them thoroughly with cool water. To shorten their cooking time and make them easier to digest, kidney beans should be presoaked. There are two basic methods for presoaking. For each, start by placing the beans in a saucepan with two to three cups of water per cup of beans. The first method is to boil the beans for two minutes, take pan off the heat, cover and allow to stand for two hours. The alternative method is to simply soak the beans in water for eight hours or overnight, placing the pan in the refrigerator, so the beans will not ferment. Before cooking the beans, regardless of pre-soaking method, drain the soaking liquid and rinse the beans with clean water.
You Might Also Like
New Year’s Lentil Soup
Lentils are served on New Year's Eve after midnight. The lentils, with their coinlike shape, represent luck and prosperity! Feel free to enjoy the 'luck' all year long though!