1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil or spray the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking pan.
2. In a large bowl combine both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
3. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, oil and brown sugar. Be sure sugar has no lumps.
4. Add liquids to flour mixture. Stir together until dry ingredients are just moistened.
5. Pour into prepared baking pan and smooth into corners.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Top should look golden brown.
7. Cool slightly and remove from pan. Slice with a serrated knife.
8. Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
NotesNo buttermilk? Add enough milk to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to make 2 cups. Stir well and let stand 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup raisins and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon for a tasty breakfast bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Materials8 x 8 baking pan, 2 mixing bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons
You Might Also Like
Apple & Celery Harvest Salad
Celery adds a delightful crunch to this seasonal apple salad. Though low in calories it's high in flavor!
Full of calcium and sweet fruit; these parfaits are healthy enough for breakfast and yummy enough for dessert!